Saturday, December 10, 2011

Joyfully Re-focused!


So... It took me a week, but I've moved on.  I am now focused on finding JOY in sixth grade and in sixth graders!

The fifth and sixth graders in Student Council have organized a canned food drive, so we will be busy the week before vacation.  Although many of the families at our school have limited resources, I always love the look of delight on their faces when they participate in an activity.  Last year, one of the first graders lovingly handed over 26 cents telling me, "Please be sure that all of my money will help some children who might not have enough food for breakfast."  I am hoping we can get a few boxes of food together to be passed on to some families in need this winter.  I know that the (joy-bringing) kids in Student Council will love knowing that they helped someone.

Also, based on a post from Barbara at The Corner on Character, my principal organized a Knitting Club.  One of my Student Council officers has been responsible for contacting Children's Hospital to find the appropriate contact to pass on their knitted creations.  It was precious to listen in on her side of the conversation...  Yes, I'm calling from my Elementary School.  Some of our students have worked hard to knit caps for sick children.  Can you tell me who to contact about donating them to your hospital?"  Definitely joy-inspiring--and quite impressive!

As a result of my (joy-filled!) Blog Browsing, I will be making a lot of changes in my classroom in January.  I'm thinking of it as kind of a September Re-Do!  I want this week to fly by quickly so that I can grab my mocha and start planning and creating.  Am I the only one gets frustrated when "school" gets in the way of my thinking?!

I'm also excited to post some math games and some anchor charts I've been working on.  I'm not exactly sure how to do that--being a bit techno-limited--but I am going to find out!

Thanks, BlogFriends, for your encouragement and your sweet sentiments.  Suddenly the season feels BRIGHT again!

And, however and whatever you celebrate... Happy Everything!

13 comments :

  1. Glad you got off the bitter bus too! :)
    I too am looking forward to Winter Break and Jan. to "re-do"! (we are sad!!!!) It's a second chance to jump start the year. Will be fun planning over break.

    Happy Holidays!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Mor!
    Glad to see you!
    I'm guessing most us are Blogger/Planners... It's like cookies and milk!
    Happy Holidays, back at YOU!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sunshine! And welcome back. I cannot WAIT to see pictures of your knitting project. And I LOVE the 26 cents story . . . Oh, and it's pretty easy to drop your worksheets into google docs and post . . . I'll email you my phone number if you want me to talk you through it.

    Feeling the joy,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having the chance to revamp during the Christmas break. I usually do it every year. It's one of the beautiful things about teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello My-First-Follower Joan!

    I'm all about "revamping" too. September is my favorite month, but January and December are tied for second. Glad you were here!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara:

    "Drop your worksheets into google docs..." Hmmmm. I'm sure I've been doing that for... um... never. The only thing I drop is my glasses!

    Someday I'll share what happened to the 26 cents. It makes the story even BETTER. Hope you noticed the graphic was PURPLE!

    : )
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also teach 6th grade and am really looking forward to making changes in January! I am jealous that you have 2 weeks off to create and plan--here in New York we only get one.

    EnJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. D!
    I'm so glad you stopped by for a visit! I'm glad about our two weeks--but I think we get out later in June than your schools do. Then I will be the envious one!

    I bet we're BOTH counting down the days...

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you got your JOY back! Helping others will always do the trick! Enjoy your holiday and get ready for a great year!
    Thank you for adding me to your blog roll!
    literacyminute.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are such a sweetie! Glad I made ya laugh. I am SO ready to be done!!!!
    Thanks for your comments! my daughter is a sixth grader this year. It's tough out there. Glad you are spreading the joy!
    Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Winter Break!!! Heck, let's just say it . . . happy CHRISTMAS break!!! Hope all's well in CA and that you're still smiling,

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always spend (probably too much) time replanning over Christmas. Just yesterday I FINALLY got 4 resources that I ordered over a month ago, and am so excited to read them over the break (in between playing with the girls' new toys). We just finished our canned food drive and I'm happy to announce that my class brought in 250 items, the most in the school. Of course, it took a little bribe to get there, but it's all for a good cause. And to be completely honest, I was planning a movie and hot chocolate party anyway, but now they feel they earned it. Enjoy your WELL deserved break!!! :)

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for joining my blog, and leaving your link for me to visit your site. Now, I am YOUR newest follower! :) Looking forward to reading through your posts!

    Merry Christmas!
    ~ Christine
    Learning Outside the Box

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post. Comments bring me JOY! Please share your thoughts and join the conversation...