Sunday, September 25, 2011

There's a lot to learn!

In one day I have tried to learn a lot about the Bloggy Universe.
After many hours, I have ten times (probably A HUNDRED TIMES) more admiration for those who do these things so effortlessly.  For those of you who have shared so much, I hope you are hearing some serious applause through cyberspace.  I am humbled.

At one point I was just going to hot glue gun a BUTTON on the screen.
And... a favicon is such a tiny thing to require three hours of fingernail chewing and tears!
I try to console myself by repeating this mantra:  "Personal computers weren't invented when you started teaching."
(And when they were... it originally took several "commands" just to underline something!)

I really wanted to share a "Getting to Know You" activity that we do in our classroom to build community in our ever-changing groups.  For the time being, Google docs has beaten me in my attempt to post a clear picture for you to see.

Alas, the best I can offer is a PDF version that is less-than-ideal and less-than-eye-catching.  (It works best with the printer set to "landscape"--and enlarged (somehow), but at that point, I was so glad to see something on the page, I just saved (and celebrated!)


NOTE: I recently updated this file and included a spinner--in case you don't have any colored dot dice--however, you really should get some... because they are so very cute! Click here for the new game board... the same as the one pictured above.

If for some reason you want the old one (which doesn't have a spinner), click the link below...
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B4jzf7IrF9Y7ZjM0MTYyNzktN2QyNC00YTM2LTlmZTYtN2E3NDQyMTMzNzFh&hl=en


This game truly is better looking in person AND it is lots of fun.You need two dice: a regular "numbered dot" die and then a colored dot die.
If you have never used them, there are ZILLIONS of possibilities for using colored dot dice--from spelling games to combining like terms in algebra.
I'm not sure I have gotten as much use out of anything else in my teaching closet!

For the game:
Each player rolls the two dice and answers the question that matches the combination.
Somehow the dice component entices even the shyest participant!
I hope you will give it a try...
Actually, I just hope it will show up on YOUR computer screen--since it was working about 50% of the time on mine.  Maybe I was actually trying to share a lesson on probability...

I recently saw these dice on the web at:
http://www.mcssl.com/store/connieseducational/catalog/product/ccfe78bbc760448a8081574186dce0b6
I am sure there are other sites as well.


Tomorrow is a new day.  I'm not sure if I will be downloading or uploading (or if I will know the difference!), but I am excited about the prospects.
I am GRATEFUL from all I have learned from you all. Next effort: A linky party. I'm determined!


2 comments :

  1. Great idea! I have used coloured dots (stickers) on plain blocks to make the type of die you show above in the picture. If you have those dollar store dot stickers you can make your own up really quickly! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just want to let you know that I used your get to know you activity today with my 6th graders. I liked it that most of the questions really made you think! Activities like these help me build my classroom culture. I added a post on my blog about my first day and linked back to your web site and this activity.

    Thanks for sharing!
    ~Michele Jackson
    http://www.jacksoninthemiddle.com/2012/08/first-day.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post. Comments bring me JOY! Please share your thoughts and join the conversation...