Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Linking Up... Twice!

Oh My!  This afternoon we had a budget meeting.  The financial picture in California has been dismal, but I wasn't expecting this!  Like teachers in most places, teachers in our district have dealt with furlough days, salary cuts, lay-offs, and the increasing costs of medical benefits.  We have minimal supplies, limits to copying, and no field trips or other "extras."  And we have taken each new cut, working harder than ever before to make the most of our limited resources.

This afternoon, we heard about the proposed class sizes for next year... An average of 31 kids in grades K to 3 (with a cap likely at 34) and an average of 35 kids in grades 4 to 6 (with a cap likely at 40).  While it may all be part of a bargaining move, I just can''t imagine working any harder than I am now... with even more kids!

I skipped my technology training and came home for a "beverage"!  I'm still in state of shock, but I was delighted to join the Link Up brigade to take my mind of our budget woes. Thankfully, Farley's "Currently" template was ready and waiting.  While I was at it, I decided to join up with Kimberly at Funky First Grade Fun for her "What Do You Love?" linky party too!


You should link up too!  It's always so much fun to read the other "Currently" comments. Click on the button and head back to Oh Boy Fourth Grade and say Hi to Farley while you are there.  She needs a little extra love... a  new rule says no more flip-flops at her school. (Some administrators really know how to break a teacher's heart!)


While I was at it, I decided to join up with Kimberly at Funky First Grade Fun for her "What Do You Love?" linky party too! (Of course, I couldn't resist a purple template!)


Why not link back and link up at Funky First Grade Fun?  There are lots of fun commentaries to read. And that purple template is just so cute!


13 comments :

  1. Oh Kim...this is terrible, I am so sorry for you and you fellow staff. I can't believe how that could even work!!

    I remember weebles!! I am sure you don't look like that!

    I hope you have a lovely evening. :)
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimmy, you do a morning message with the 6th graders? How? What do you do exactly?
    I wish some of those stupid officials would come into the classroom and try to teach these many kids! It's just insane! I need to break my eating habits too!!! I do so much better over the summer when work doesn't stress me out. I keep up a much better eating schedule that way. I've been wanting to take a nap ALL DAY today! My kids actually offered to make me coffee during class because I couldn't stop yawning. Your RAK is so sweet!!!

    Hope you have a wonderful week!!
    xoxo

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, those are BIG classes.. whatever comes your way, I'm sure you can handle it!
    ❤Teri

    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim,

    I also teach 6th grade in California, and we have not yet heard what the future may hold. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone... :) We are all in this together!

    (Also -- love your blog. Found it from a friend on Pinterest!)

    ♥ Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear about your class sizes! That is SO challenging!! The most I've had is 27, so I know 34 would be extremely difficult! I wish those higher up would realize the value of smaller class sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have had much of the same in Florida....taking a percentage of our pension, taking paid holidays, cutting teachers left and right and now passed a lovely new law that will base our pay on our students state test scores.....are you kidding me. These people that make the laws have no clue!!! I have 23 and can't imagine more. Hoping it doesn't come to that for you or me!!! Don't cha just love those meeting that completely suck the wind out of your sails????? Hugs girl!!

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you linked up! I love to make plans to stay home to. Seriously...just 5 minutes peace without 25 little ones saying my name all at once sound kinda nice right about now. :)I'm a new follower!
    Kimberly
    Funky First Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your RAK. So sweet!!!
    And I love that you said you like to read books from beginning to end. Ha! :) What do you know? Me too!!
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh! Those class sizes sound horrible! Someone needs to send the higher ups some research that shows smaller classes = better test scores!

    You and I are so much alike! I am so glad I found your blog. When I had cancer it was hard for me to walk. I told my hubby that I was a weeble wobble but the song lied! I fell down A LOT! Takeout, Starbucks, and Office Depot... I blame those as the culprits for my weight. Don't they realize starbucks and chocolate should be calorie free!!!??

    Since you are my matchy, matchy pal... what are yoru colors? I am assuming purple is one of them.

    Sending you hugs and a chocolate monkey to drink (it will fix ya right up!).

    Misty @
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Kim ... up to 40 kids???? That's ridiculous! What are they thinking ... really. I hope you enjoyed your beverage ... and dipped into the chocolate a little early.

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  11. KIM!!! 33 Friends!!! I can't even imagine. A couple of years ago, I had 30 friends. 30 enrichment students. 30 friends who I didn't have to beg to write more but would write pages. I feel like I spent all my free time that year grading papers. I can't imagine 33 or the class sizes your district is talking about. This is one case where size matters!! I have been in awe of all you do, but I am even more amazed to find out you have been doing it with 33 friends! If I were you, those "beverages" would be a nightly thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim--
    Hang in there! All of those changes sound, simply put, just crazy. Based on what I have seen you blog about, I know that you will continue to do the best for your students. Sadly, it's just not your state that is facing serious changes in education---New York is in a similar boat...a boat where everyone is convinced that teachers are lazy, don't do enough, and get paid too much...all of which we know isn't true!

    Have a restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post. Comments bring me JOY! Please share your thoughts and join the conversation...