Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Currently... October!

Hello October!

background paper by Scrappin Doodles HERE... font by Amy Alvis HERE

I love any month that has a holiday that fills my grocery store shelves with CHOCOLATE (It's my favorite food group!)


My year is flying by... yet it seems like it is taking a long time to get into the swing of things. I feel like I repeat the same directions twelve times, only to have someone raise his hand and say, "What are we supposed to do?" At the same time, there are those sweeties who have followed the directions, organized the supply box, politely asked his tablemates to be quiet, organized his tablemates' belongings, smiled apologetically again, only to give up and whisper loudly, "I think she's waiting for you..." Sigh. I just need more patience. A lot more patience. Another truckload or two would be good!

I think it would be easier if there was at least one holiday between the beginning of school and the end of October. Just one. Seems like a small request, doesn't it? After all, a week plus one day off in November is a delight. But... Couldn't we switch just one of those days to October?

As for a trick: I've got nothing, really... Except I did learn something accidentally the other day. I was softly humming a song (from this decade!) while waiting for the kids to line up. One of my students looked at me in astonishment and said, "How do you know that song? You're so old!" To which I replied, "I'm pretty sure my TV gets a lot of the same channels that yours does..." I think he's still trying to figure out exactly what that meant... but I did see him point at me and whisper to a buddy right after that. I pretended not to notice--but it was hard to keep from smiling!

Now, you know what to do! Head to Farley's and share the love. She gives us twelve opportunities each year just to look after each other and share some smiles...


I hope that your October is filled with plenty of patience--and plenty of chocolate too!





15 comments :

  1. Hi Kim!
    Happy October! Just sharing some smiles with a fellow blogger! How funny your kids are - yes, we know your songs! : )
    Michelle
    BigTime Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to check my computer... 21 windows/applications open on my computer. Geez, think I better close a few - no wonder it's running slowly!
    I purposely buy the hard candy at Halloween time for trick-or-treaters cuz I will eat all the chocolate out of the bag!
    Fabulous Fifth Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trick is funny :) They always shocked when I know songs or have seen You Tube videos that they have. My students forget that I have two older kids at home so I've probably heard and seen these songs and videos before they have!! Happy October, friend! Hint: make your on holiday in October. Take a day off for fun :)
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watching 10 minutes or so of Keeping Up With the Kardashians once in a while really impresses the girls, and Tosh really impresses the 7th grade boys. I need more patience too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kim, I feel your pain on the following directions issue! If you get that figured out, please, please let me know. Regarding holidays...our district has decided to throw in a few extra long weekends throughout the year and one of them is in October! We're getting the 14th off. I wasn't crazy about the idea at first, thinking I'd rather get out a few days earlier in June. I have to say that I LOVE the idea right now! Bring on the 14th! Then, to make things even sweeter for Halloween, we have a staff development day on November 1st. Yep, parents get to keep their sugar infused wild ones and/or candy coma kids home the day after Halloween. THAT was good planning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate. Chocolate. Chocolate. Yes.
    It's nice to know 6th graders and 1st graders are not that far apart.
    Rick Morris (the management guy) says to always remember that adults tune people out, too, and if a student asks for the directions AGAIN after you've just given them, to be happy that the student AT LEAST asked. At least the kid is interested. Something like that. I don't know. I just try to remember how I am in a staff meeting when I'm in Lala Land and then I tune back in and have to ask the person sitting next to me what we're supposed to be doing and/or what did the principal just say??
    All of that is to say I think you're amazingly patient and you're not alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy October, my JOY-filled friend. When I was a Spanish teacher, I heard that we need 18 repetitions to commit something to memory ... so it's probably pretty good if they get it the third time, right ... oh, the powerful reframe :D

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do enjoy the chocolate aspect of October as well :) You know what is funny? We had that SAME conversation about holidays at work before I left on maternity leave. Seriously....the exact same thing came out of our mouths. Maybe if we all band together, we can effect some change here in our country and make a special Octoember holiday....just to break everything up.

    Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only 11 windows open? I'm the queen of multitasking. Sometimes you can't even see what the little tabs say I have so many open! I'm with you on the chocolate! Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  10. We started back Aug. 1st, and yes, it is a long time between Labor Day and Veteran's Day! Amen to wanting 6th graders to follow directions at least the third time *sigh* Happy October . . . take each day one piece of chocolate at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I started teaching intervention this year, I thought sure my 5th grade group would be able to listen and follow directions so much better than the 3rd graders I was used to... not so much! Do they just forget it all over the summer, or what?

    Praying you get a little more patience :) I think we ALL need it!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear that it is not just my 6th graders that struggle with following directions. Ah...patience...I could use some of that too!
    Kate
    Kate's Science Classroom Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could use some more patience, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kim -- found your blog thanks to Farley's currently linky (I'm following you now too!) I love your purple layout, BTW. Sometimes I really struggle with patience too (I teach 7th grade)....it truly is like herding cats some weeks. Haha

    Glad I found your cutesy blog :)

    Emily
    www.absolutelytrueteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You say having 11 files open (or was it programs?? THAT is more like me!) as if it were a bad thing..rather than a sign of a busy teacher! Please oh please tell me how to get the template for Currently so I can add it to my new-ish blog.

    Joanne M
    Come visit and follow me at Traveling Though Sixth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading this post. Comments bring me JOY! Please share your thoughts and join the conversation...